September 23 to September 29
The Porch Light is excited to announce that Shine a Light Week will take place Friday, September 23 through Thursday, September 29. Now more than ever, we need your support, prayers and participation to SHINE A LIGHT in the darkness. Each of the events below will inspire hearts, impact change and raise critical support to help rescue and restore child victims of domestic sex trafficking through The Porch Light.
- Florida has the third most reported cases of sex trafficking in the United States. (National Human Trafficking Resource Center, 2014)
- 1 in 6 endangered runaways are likely to become victims of sex trafficking. (National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, 2014)
- The average age of girls coming into the care of The Porch Light is 15-16.
Check out the details of this amazing event, listed below.
Shine a Light Gala
Thursday, September 29 –
Freedom Reception: 5:30 p.m.
Dinner: 6:30 p.m.
The Lakeland Center
701 W. Lime Street, Lakeland (Exhibit Hall East, Parking at Entrance 1)
The week’s finale is a black tie (optional) gala that will be an evening of hope as we gather to shine a light on the issue of sex trafficking. Enjoy a gourmet dinner and private concert by Dove award-winning singer and songwriter Aaron Shust. Shust will perform his heartfelt acoustic act in the Youkey Theatre with hit songs such as “Ever Be.” In addition, the gala will include a pre-dinner reception, silent auction and a panel discussion by experts on how to effectively fight sex trafficking. Tickets to the gala are $100.
Featuring Dove award-winning singer and songwriter Aaron Shust.Purchase Gala Tickets
Shine a Light 5k
Friday, September 23 – 6:30 p.m.
Florida Southern College
111 Lake Hollingsworth Drive
Join us for this evening run/walk that will bring light to the darkness that surrounds sex trafficking. Competitive runners, as well as walkers, will find this chip-timed 5k to be an event to remember. The cost is $25 for those who register by September 8 and increases to $30 after. Participants who sign up by September 8 will also be guaranteed an event dri-fit t-shirt. Awards will be given in standard age divisions, and the race will begin at the corner of Lake Hollingsworth and Johnson Ave.
After the race, enjoy delicious food available for purchase from food truck vendors!
Register for the 5k today!5k Registration
Shine a Light Day of Prayer
Sunday, September 25
Join with your family, church and community to lift up The Porch Light in prayer. Prayer is powerful and we are called to pray for the young girls who are being rescued, those in bondage, and the perpetrators who are holding them captive.
Gather your family, Bible study group, church, and others to pray with us in the following ways:
- Victims: Pray for those who are currently in the bondage of sex trafficking, that they might be released from their captivity and find new life in Christ. Isaiah 61:1 “The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.”
- Porch Light Residents: Pray for the young ladies who have been rescued from trafficking and are currently receiving love and care at the Porch Light Safe Home. Ask for God to strengthen them and transform their lives through the power of the Holy Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:17 “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”
- Porch Light Staff: Pray for the directors, coaches and mentors that work on the front lines each day to bring rescue and restoration to victims. Lift them up and pray that God would grant them strength, purpose and wisdom as they carry out His work. Isaiah 33:2 “LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress.”
- Law Enforcement and Lawmakers: Pray for our law enforcement officers as they rescue children from perpetrators. Pray for wisdom and protection in every circumstance. Also, lift up our lawmakers as they seek to bring harsher penalties to perpetrators and greater opportunities to the oppressed. Isaiah 1:17 “Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.”
- Perpetrators: Pray for those who prey on children and enslave them. Ask for God’s conviction upon their lives, that they might turn from evil to God’s saving grace. Acts 3:19 “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.”
Shine a Light Day of Action
Tuesday, September 27
Take a stand for victims of child sex trafficking. Share about The Porch Light with your neighbors, clubs, friends and family. Here are specific ways you can take action!
- Legislation: Contact your legislator, by clicking the contacts link below, and let them know that you support legislation that helps to protect trafficking victims and holds perpetrators accountable for their crimes. Offer to meet with them regarding the Porch Light and other organizations that are working to end sex trafficking. http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/representatives.aspx
- Community: Present to your church group, book club, service organization or community gathering about the reality of trafficking in our communities and how we can all work to bring about healing and hope.
- Social Media: Utilize the power of your social network and help us spread the word about The Porch Light. Copy and paste the post below and share with your friends to help shine a light in the darkness! “I SHINE for The Porch Light! The Porch Light is a non-profit organization working to restore child victims of sex trafficking. We are called to be a light in the darkness, and I invite you to join me in helping protect innocent children. To learn more, please visit www.ThePorchLight.org! #ShineALight
- Give: Resources are necessary to carry out the work of The Porch Light. Your gift will help bring restoration to rescued girls and advocacy efforts to help ensure the evil of trafficking is brought to an end. www.ThePorchLight.org/give-now
THANK YOU TO OUR CORPORATE SPONSORS!